Welcome to this weeks newsletter -
ETHOS: To celebrate the end of our Human Rights Month, we are selling Amnesty Bracelets to the children tomorrow. Please donate around €1 / €2 euro for each bracelet. The funds go towards the Amnesty outreach programme. Big Thanks to Amnesty for supporting us in our Human Rights Month and for supplying us with teaching resources.
We will be having our Festival of Lights Assembly on the 18th of December at 08.40am. All welcome. It should last 40 minutes. The children shall be showing their work at this and we’ll be singing a song or two. We are also having our annual appeal at this assembly – details as follows.
FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS ASSEMBLY / HOMELESS APPEAL: This year we have chosen DePaul Ireland for our donation appeal. DePaul are based in Dublin 8 and their main homeless shelters are also in the Dublin 8 area. DePaul Ireland supports people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. DePaul are running a campaign ‘Presents for all’ whereby all the donations they receive are organised and wrapped to ensure that every one of their service users receives a present on Christmas morning. Donations given by us would help this go even further into their services and it would be fantastic way to mark the festival of light and the coming festive season.
On behalf of DePaul we would be grateful for the following:
- Dry Food goods (all types).
- Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, comb.
- Small clothing items: socks, gloves, hats, scarves, t-shirts
Food is always used in their services and the toiletries are always very much in need. Small clothing items would be very much appreciated as In DePauls one night only emergency cold weather initiatives service users often arrive with nothing and they try where possible to give them a clean change of clothes. All donations would be really appreciated, and the children can present the donations at the assembly on 18th December.
PARENTS ASSOCIATION: As you are aware a movie night for the children of Portobello ETNS will take place on Saturday 13th December from 6-8pm at our school.
- This event will be limited to children attending the school only and a parent must remain on the premises for the duration of the event.
- The goody bag will contain popcorn, homemade rice crispy cake, box of raisins, and a bottle of water. This is in accordance with our school’s healthy eating policy.
- A pop-up café will be open selling teas, coffees and homemade treats to parents while the movie is on.
- Finally, the children are more than welcome to come in their PJs with their cuddly teddies, snugly blankets and an ‘all important’ pillow to sit on.
- Can we ask you to send us a quick reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if your child/children will be attending in order for us to organize goody bags? Please subject your mail “Going to movie night”, thank you. If you are still interested in volunteering please contact Irenie at email@example.com or by phone. Many thanks for all your support as always.
GARDEN: The children planted bulbs in the garden this week. Photos to follow. We are compiling a list of interested parties / individuals who want to become involved in working groups in the garden. Please contact the office if you are interested. (Horticulturalists, designers, labourers, teacher assistants, families, parents, guardians, grandparents and cash laden)
SCOOTERS: All children must dismount / get off scooters at the front gate.
VISITOR: We had Dr Susan Pike visit us this week. She lectures Geography in St Pats College, and is offering great support to our staff, and needless to say she was very impressed with us!
APPEAL: Call out for a van & driver to collect a couch from Dublin 12 and deliver to our school. Please contact the office if you can help.
TEACHING AND LEARNING: Have a look at some photos of the children learning about electricity in the staff room.
Have a nice weekend,
Dermot & the Staff.